10. Lala Lala & WHY? – Siren 042: A few Lala Lala tracks caught our ear in 2018 but not like this one with WHY?. The atmosphere on “Siren 042” is a bit sad as Lala Lala apologizes and explains herself in the lyrics but at the same time loses her personality as she makes changes. This got played a lot in the early mornings.
9. Loma – Half Silences: The sound is haunting when members from Shearwater and Cross Records get together to record. The only thing that would make this track better is extending the first instrumental passage for a few more minutes before the vocals appear. This is also our favourite video of 2019.
8. Bleached – Shitty Ballet: After the release of their debut in 2013, we lost track of Bleached until this first track from their latest album was released in April. The band has a knack of getting songs lodged in the head and this one was no different as we sang, “don’t want to pretend it’s OK when it’s not” throughout the year.
7. Lizzo (Feat. Missy Elliott) – Tempo: Easily one of the coolest tracks of the year. The steady groove never gets too hyped but always keeps the head nodding along. Lizzo has received all kinds of attention in 2019 and when you can get the queen Missy Elliott on your track, you know you’re doing something right.
6. Sharon Van Etten – Seventeen: When Van Etten released her newest album, this is the track that everyone latched onto. It sounds like a female Bruce Springsteen looking back on her younger self while screaming that “I know what you’re going to be”. In this case, that’s a great place to be.
5. Billie Eilish & Justin Bieber – bad guy: Always liked this track but our ears really perked up on the Interrupters version which made us go back and listen to the original even more. Eilish’s vocals are hushed like she’s hiding in a closet while the simple beat gives Bieber room to really roll with a great vocal performance.
4. Fontaines D.C. – Boys In The Better Land: Hearing the slower “Roy’s Tune” did not prepare us for this energetic anthem that blared out of our car speakers all summer. Name checking James Joyce, this one also had us Googling what “only smokes Carrolls” means. This one makes us believe that the (rock) kids are alright.
3. Haim – Summer Girl: An early morning drive to work and hearing this on CBC Radio 2 had us hooked immediately. Missed this one for the summer but it made our autumn a lot brighter with the mesmerizing saxophone hook. Almost makes us want to book a trip to LA and have this on repeat.
2. Lil Nas X (Feat. Billy Ray Cyrus) – Old Town Road: One late evening on stereogum.com we read about the country chart controversy with “Old Town Road” then watched about 20 TikTok videos afterwards. Being purists, we liked the original better but the Billy Ray Cyrus version is fine too. The “can’t nobody tell me nothing” is the lyric of the year and the fact that the track gets in and out as fast as possible gives the listener whiplash as they hit the repeat button 5x.
1. Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall: This was instantly one of our favourite songs of 2019 from the first time we heard it. Listening to the feature on Song Exploder recently, we got the original meaning of the song slightly wrong the first time around but found the actual meaning of beautiful plantation houses being used for weddings fascinating. The sound recalls early VW tracks but is musically far more complex and nuanced. It may not be the lyric of the year, see above, but “I don’t want to live like this, but I don’t want to die” is certainly right up there.